469 Percent Increase In Uncompensated Care Cost At Missouri Hospitals In 10 Years
The Missouri Hospital Association has released its annual Community Investment Report, which includes community benefit and economic impact data, and underscores hospitals’ essential role in building strong, healthy communities. The report is available to consumers on the association’s completely revised hospital data transparency site, FocusOnHospitals.com.
Highlights of the report include:
- $1.3 billion in uncompensated care provided by Missouri hospitals
- $2.75 billion in total community benefit provided by Missouri hospitals
- In 2014, Missouri’s hospitals provided approximately $723 million in charity care and incurred more than $592 million in bad debt at cost. Both categories increased over the 2013 totals, with charity care increasing by $136 million and bad debt by $56 million.
- Missouri’s hospitals employ nearly 148,000 workers
- Missouri’s hospitals invested $1.6 billion in capital projects
Missouri hospitals are vital to the health of Missouri’s communities and economy.