Flu Season Facts
- Influenza activity generally begins to increase in October and peaks between December and March. Long flu seasons can last through May.
- Nationally, approximately 46 percent of individuals ages six months and older receive a flu vaccine. The Missouri rate of vaccination during the 2015-2016 season was 47.4 percent.
- Individuals with insurance can receive a vaccination without a co-pay if they seek the flu vaccine at a network provider.
- Among health care providers, hospitals have the highest vaccination rate among work settings. In Missouri, 99 percent of hospitals have a vaccination policy that covers all hospital personnel.
- More than 85 percent of hospitals have a mandatory vaccination policy or a mandatory policy with exemptions.
Download the flu season fact sheet.